Economic stimulus payments started rolling out and now the battle is ON!
The fight among retailers and advertisers for your economic stimulus rebate check is in full force!
These folks want your money, and they want it bad!
Businesses large and small are offering all sorts of deals to make it as easy as possible for you to give them your money. Some of the "deals" being offered by businesses are:
- cashing your rebate check for free, no strings attached (but hoping you spend some or all of it with them)
- cashing your rebate check for free if you spend it with their business
- cashing your rebate check for free and offering you discounted prices on merchandise
- cashing your rebate check for free and offering you a X% discount (10% is really popular!)
- converting your rebate check into their store's gift card
- giving you a X% bonus when you convert your rebate check into their store's gift card (again, 10% is really popular!)
- giving you additional money when you convert your rebate check into their store's gift card
- accepting your rebate check as a form of payment
- matching the amount of your rebate check (sometimes just up to a certain amount) if you spend it on certain items
- offering special cash bonuses or discounts based on your spending in $300 increments
- special rebate check themed sales
- special rebate check priced menus at restaurants
- special rebate check discounted vacation packages
The National Retail Federation estimates that about $43 billion worth of rebate checks (out of $152 billion) will be spent by consumers with our nation's businesses.
So before you cave to all of the marketing hoopla, be sure to think long and hard about how your economic stimulus rebate check could best be spent.
Just because these businesses are doing their best to appeal to your heart's desires to get you to spend your rebate check with them, doesn't mean you have to.
Be sensible and be practical.
Don't use the money frivolously if you have any pressing or outstanding financial obligations that you could really use that money for instead.
And if plan to partake in a special offer, discount, incentive, or promotion, be sure to get all of the details before you spend your rebate check.
Sometimes there's a catch. And you don't want to be caught off guard and get sucker-punched by the small print or hidden details!